THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 am 

Bought a new vepr 12 along with 3 csspec 10 round mags. Gun has folding stock, 18" barrel. Stripped the gun to look things over the night before I was going to shoot it for the first time. Everything looked good and was fairly smooth for a factory gun. I reprofiled the hammer and polished the contact points on the stock fcg. SHined a light down the barrel and could see that ports were lined up and unobstructed. Cycled the bolt a while by hand just to run things in a bit too. Went to the range today and loaded up some 1oz slugs in the csspec mags and of course they ran fine. Then went to 3 1/4 dram federal game loads 1oz 7 1/2 1290 fps in the csspec 10 round mag and had 3 fte. Ran another mag of the same stuff same mag and had 2 fte. Then ran same stuff in factory 5 round mag and ran flawlessly. Then for the hell of it I ran some 3 dram winchester super target 3 dram 1 1/8 #8s 1200 fps and it stovepiped every single round out of the csspec as expected. I then however ran that ammo out of the 5 round factory mag and it ran flawlessly. :o I was shocked to say the least. I then switched over to bulk pack federal 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 1200fps walmart special target and field loads in the csspec mag and had 6 fte out of 10. Ran the same in the factory mag and functioned flawlessly. I ran 200 rounds of this stuff through the gun with pretty much the same results. csspec ran like crap and factory 5 rounder never missed a beat. Im sorry, it had 1 fte. Anyways, brought the gun home extremely disappointed . Cleaned it and everything looks ok internally. I did a lot of research on these mags and best I can tell they are the go to mag for a lot of people. Being as the factory mag ran flawlessly with less than stelar ammo, it seems to be the csspec mags are the variable that failed. Now, I don't know if being a ten rounder made the difference with more upward pressure on carrier perhaps or what? I put a lot of time into researching this and its not my first rodeo with veprs. Ive been a competitive trap shooter all my life and I know my way around a shotgun. AK's are also a serious hobby of mine and I am capable of doing most anything on them. However, when you put an ak together with a shotgun, I have a few things to learn I guess. Any help would be appreciated. I just find it hard to believe that these beautifully made well respected mags are to blame. I fitted them per their instructions but i did leave them a bit tight figuring they may loosen up once I shoot them a bit which they did immediately after the first 10 slugs. Lockup and insertion became easier. I had one weird thing happen on the last 5 rounds. I had 5 slugs left over and decided I might as well run them and on the 3rd shot the mag popped out. Reinserted and ran the last two. Not sure what happened there. I do have the whole session on video as I was actually shooting a youtube video review of the vepr. But not sure how to load it here as I haven't published it yet. Again any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:35 pm 

Well a little update. As I stated earlier, the gun functions well with the factory mag and my usual tweaks. I spoke to Mike at CSSPEC and he was extremely helpful. These mags are new to me as I've always used factory mags. After talking to mike it looks like I will have to do a few more tweaks for them to run the 10 rnd csspecs. Pretty sure what I have in mind will get them running. I will update once tested. Would be helpful if anyone has any experience with these mags.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 pm 

mojoracing wrote:
Now, I don't know if being a ten rounder made the difference with more upward pressure on carrier perhaps or what?

I don’t think that’s the issue. I run the 10 round spring in my 8 rounders with 3 dram ammo that my vepr likes. You need to call csspecs. I called them many times because I had issues with my lrbho not being tripped every time. Ended up being an adjustment issue. Csspecs is one of the best in terms of customer support and service! When they redesigned the follower, they offered the upgraded follower for free! Who does that?? Csspecs! That’s why I keep buying their magazines even though I only really use 2 of them when I shoot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 am 

Well mike just thought that the gun was probably one that needed a little more work than others and I agree. I wanted it reliable with any mag I put in it and able to reliably run shells down to 3 dram bulk ammo. so...... Polished and reprofiled hammer (pretty much a comblock profile, brought it waaay down), polished rails and made sure there were no other areas that had too much friction. Installed JTE performance guide rod, kerotish puck and css performance spring. Thing is running like a bulldog eating hormel chilli!! Put together a video on what I did. Just a review, ammo testing, identifying issues, modifiacations and the end results. Its a long video but It covers a lot of ground. Hope it helps some folks here. Ill try and embed the video or at least provide a link. If its ok with mods. Being new Im not sure.

[youtube]xT77Kw1RWho[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/xT77Kw1RWho

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:15 am 

That was you in the video?
Welcome to both of you, by the way! :D