THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Slug Accuracy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm 

Update: match today, after the re-zero I did have to mess with re-clocking the brake because it became a little loose, I had no POI shift though. I’ll next clean it and recheck after the dust cover’s been open and closed again, but the optic should be good as I ran 75ish shells and had good hits with slugs on the last stage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 pm 

Excellent... Muuhahahahahaaaa... :twisted:

Muzzle attachments almost always affect POI. If the hinge is done right, it shouldn't affect your sight in much.

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 am 

I did some more testing, basically left it alone for the two matches and it stayed dead on. I added the handuard and re-zeoed, then opened and closed the dust cover a few times, had a slight effect but not a ton, so good enough for this year. I also ran a bunch of 1500 fps 1oz slugs too and they are hitting just a bit higher than the Fiocci 3G's at 1300 fps, so if I have very long shots to take (like 100 yards+), I'll probably use the higher powered ones to offset some of the drop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I did some more testing, basically left it alone for the two matches and it stayed dead on. I added the handuard and re-zeoed, then opened and closed the dust cover a few times, had a slight effect but not a ton, so good enough for this year. I also ran a bunch of 1500 fps 1oz slugs too and they are hitting just a bit higher than the Fiocci 3G's at 1300 fps, so if I have very long shots to take (like 100 yards+), I'll probably use the higher powered ones to offset some of the drop.

I'm going to take back my previous statement. I had a match, a few range trips, and another match, the POI during the first match (actually won the all shotgun stage!) and the range trips it didn't seem to change despite opening the cover for a small cleaning after each but I cleaned it well before the second match and during that match I had some uncharacteristic misses. The RO said I was hitting right every time. Got out to the range and he was right, at 50 yards, I was hitting several inches (maybe 6?) right of POI on a bench rest. I ordered and installed the railed gas tube hoping for better luck. Ultimately (in the off season) it will go to Dissident for the rail to be welded in place of the rear sight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 am 

I almost did the same thing until i figured out that i would have to take it off everytime i cleaned the crud out of the gas block. I had less faith in that system holding zero than having it on the dust cover.

I went back to a dot recently, put it at the end of the handguard, if i had the barrell mount like roman khalitov uses i would have mounted it that way instead. It currently cowitnesess with my irons and went through multigun nationals last weekend being dumped in bins, irons and dot still line up so it hasnt moved. Will give it another 6 months and see how it goes then maybe cut the front sight off it to clean up the lines.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:40 am 

czechmate wrote:
I almost did the same thing until i figured out that i would have to take it off everytime i cleaned the crud out of the gas block. I had less faith in that system holding zero than having it on the dust cover.

I went back to a dot recently, put it at the end of the handguard, if i had the barrell mount like roman khalitov uses i would have mounted it that way instead. It currently cowitnesess with my irons and went through multigun nationals last weekend being dumped in bins, irons and dot still line up so it hasnt moved. Will give it another 6 months and see how it goes then maybe cut the front sight off it to clean up the lines.

I won't say for sure because I haven't re-verified my zero yet, but I have spent the last few days removing and re-installing the gas tube. I painted 3 lines on the gas tube to gas block interface and they line back up perfectly each time, the tube only fits into the rear sight block in the exact location each time, otherwise you cannot rotate the retainer down. Meanwhile, the dust cover can be rocked side to side by hand and is only retained in place by the fitment to the receiver and the recoil spring assembly (there's play there too) so that seems less stable. I had hoped it was returning to zero and it seemed to for a while, but it's just not anymore, so I'll try this to see if I can eek out the rest of the summer/fall. Plus my gas block needs a lot less cleaning than the bolt carrier and rails. Like I said, not a permanent solution but hopefully it works until I get that rail section welded in (which I've started considering having done locally since it should be fairly quick to do).