THE VEPR FORUM

www.vepr.org
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 pm 

Commercial:

Factory VEPR: Obviously.
Promag Saiga: Supposedly work, have to file mag catch.
SGM Tactical Saiga: Supposedly work, have to file mag catch.
Bulgarian "bullet": Requires same mods as surplus mags, filled mag catch and a bullet guide.
US PALM: Requires same mods as surplus mags, filled mag catch and a bullet guide.
TAPCO: Requires same mods as surplus mags, filled mag catch and a bullet guide.

Surplus: These require a bullet guide and a filed mag catch to be reliable.

Metal 30 round: All
Bakelite 30 round: All
Bulgarian polymer waffle 30 round
Valmet polymer 30 round
Valmet metal 30 round
Russian AK-103
Metal 40 round: All
Bakelite 40 round: All

CONVERTING YOUR RIFLE TO ACCEPT SURPLUS MAGAZINES REQUIRES 922R COMPLIANCE PARTS!

I probably missed some, let me know and I'll add them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:02 am 

Have to file mag catch? Yikes, I hope not, got one on the way!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56 pm 

Dragynn wrote:
Have to file mag catch? Yikes, I hope not, got one on the way!

Its not hard. You'll have to put in a bullet guide as well to run the surplus mags like bigJ stated. It isnt any worse than a Saiga conversion, only better since you dont have to mod the mags to clear the trunnion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:42 am 

If I install a bullet guide, will I be able to use standard vepr mags also?

I'm also confused, I keep reading that you need to change parts on your vepr to make sure its 992r compliant when using standard/foreign ak mags. Aren't vepr mags from Russia? That would be swapping out a foreign mag with another foreign mag?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:04 pm 

merdenoms wrote:

I'm also confused, I keep reading that you need to change parts on your vepr to make sure its 992r compliant when using standard/foreign ak mags. Aren't vepr mags from Russia? That would be swapping out a foreign mag with another foreign mag?

Well here's the skinny on mine FWIW: I bought mine from Classic, the version they advertised as already high-cap converted. What this meant, is that the importer (Wolf/TGI) had already installed a Tapco G2 trigger (3 parts for compliance), a bullet guide, and a muzzle device (US made, another compliancy part).

This would have still left the rifle non-compliant when used with foreign mags, so they don't ship it with a vepr factory mag, they ship it with a Tapco mag which gives another 3 compliancy parts. So as shipped, it will take all regular AK mags 30 round or otherwise, but possibly not factory vepr mags, dunno, but without adding any more parts, it would be a violation of 922 to insert/use a foreign mag. I have some US made followers and floorplates, so it's not an issue for me currently, and when the rest of my parts get here I won't even need to do that.

I imagine the factory vepr mag, has a higher lip on the front part, that allows it to feed without using a bullet guide, SGM has announced some new mags they have made like this for vepr's. But if you install a bullet guide, I don't think you will be able to use these vepr-specific mags anymore, SGM has already said theirs won't work if you have installed a bullet guide.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:00 pm 

merdenoms wrote:

Basically, any time someone makes a rifle into a configuration that would not be importable they generally make it compliant with 922r. The ability to accept standard AK magazines is a feature the boys apparently do not allow. I'm not sure that the Vepr mags will fit correctly after you file the magazine catch anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 am 

How many 922 compliant parts are needed in total once you have installed bullet guide to
accept surplus mags?

I understand tapco fcg (3parts) and what else would be needed. I want to keep my original thumbhole stock and
forend but I know i need the 922 parts. And i dont want to use american made mags.

thank guys.

I am new to the forum. I just picked up 2 Vepr's in 7.62x39 16" barrel. I love them and just want to get things
straight before modding.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 pm 
Generally Butt Naked

supermario wrote:
How many 922 compliant parts are needed in total once you have installed bullet guide to
accept surplus mags?

I understand tapco fcg (3parts) and what else would be needed. I want to keep my original thumbhole stock and
forend but I know i need the 922 parts. And i dont want to use american made mags.

thank guys.

I am new to the forum. I just picked up 2 Vepr's in 7.62x39 16" barrel. I love them and just want to get things
straight before modding.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

according to the automatic check list, trigger group (-3) no pistol grip (-1) so you need to replace 2 more foreign parts to be compliant. if your muzzle nuts are still pinned in place or you add US muzzle attachments that's another -1. the next logical part to replace would be the gas piston. that should give you the correct parts count to use surplus mags

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 pm 

Russian Hammer wrote:
supermario wrote:
accept surplus mags?

thank guys.

straight before modding.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

according to the automatic check list, trigger group (-3) no pistol grip (-1) so you need to replace 2 more foreign parts to be compliant. if your muzzle nuts are still pinned in place or you add US muzzle attachments that's another -1. the next logical part to replace would be the gas piston. that should give you the correct parts count to use surplus mags

You could do what hammer said, or just swap followers and/or floorplates on all your mags. Thats an easy 2 parts. Ive done it with all my surplus mags.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 am 
Business Member

The factory mag will need material removed from the front. Very little and very easy. However, the mag will not lock in tight at the rear lug because the mag catch needs to be filed for use with the other mags. If you are crafty, you could add a little material to the bottom of the rear lug and fit it to perfection.... or you could just use the mag as-is. As long as it functions, that is all that truly matters. I would not let wanting to use factory mags stop me from using plentiful regular AK mags. Make it yours.

evl....

Truth and Innovation.... I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/evlblkwpnz