THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:36 am 

Well I got out to the range today again with the VEPR Hunter (308) and finally documented (sorry for bad pics) some of the groupings I was getting. These groups represent the average group sizes I was seeing. In all I probably did 7 - 3rnd groups and 4 - 5rnd groups.

First the gun. It is a 20" VEPR Hunter in 308 using the stock removable side scope mount and a sub $40 Tasco World Class scope (3-9x).
Ammo used was Hornady 155 grain steel cased BTHP ammo (just a few of the groups) and the majority of it was 145 grain FMJ PPU

Pics of a few of the groups I snapped photos of on the range at 100 yards:
Sub 2" Group (case length is almost exactly 2"
A 5 shot group, the last shot was low
2 - 3 shot groups, with 2 initial shots at the bottom middle used to center the rifle
Overall the rifle worked great. No glitches (FTF's, etc), and the scope did OK. I would say the scope is great for a temporary setup and feeling out a rifle but definitely NOT for great accuracy. The lack of parallax adjustment is a big issue as when I would move my head side to side and up and down (such as between shots) I noticed the crosshairs would vary as much as about an inch. This is a big issue for me as I still sit in a slightly different spot each time I get behind this thing. Anyway I am very help with sub 2 MOA accuracy consistently without much effort. I really feel that with better ammo (I think it likes 168 grain or heavier), a better scope, and getting behind the rifle the same way each time consistently I may be able to get around 1.5 MOA consistently? Who knows... anyway like I said its good enough for me and I just wanted to share what I learned. Also note that my standing offhand shots were not much worse, will try to get photos of those next time.

Again sorry for the off angle photos above of the targets but I really was planning to bring these targets home with me to measure and take better photos but forgot to go down and grab them when I was leaving. Took these to remember when I shot each of the groups... at least I took them I have them to show how the rifle was doing.

Last edited by JustinB60 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 am 

Additional note... just cleaned gun and realized the main stock screw on the underside of the gun was extremely loose, almost fell out. Not sure if that affected accuracy, I'll have to see if I can do better next time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 am 

That's a good result. I haven't done any accuracy testing on mine yet. I need a good scope first.
I didn't see the distance you were shooting from or the power of the scope?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:22 am 

Haha, those are essential details arent they... those were all at 100 yards. Scope is a 3-9x.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:15 am 
Business Member

JustinB60 wrote:
Haha, those are essential details arent they... those were all at 100 yards. Scope is a 3-9x.

I haven't had the opportunity to fire mine at 100 yards and hope to do as well as you did.

Do you like the MOLOT mount? I have been considering one for my .308 V2.

evl....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 pm 

Well I may be wrong... But I do believe the mount the Vepr Hunter comes with is made specific to that rifle only meaning any other Molot mounts will be slightly different. Reason for this is side mount location is extremely different than any other AK.

That being said I do like it... However it is not perfectly aligned with the bore which bothers me slightly (it is very close to center though). It stays tight and doesn't wabble.. So overall satisfied with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 pm 

The mount fits a standard VEPR just fine. If you take the Rollpins out then it is adjustable by up-down & left-right. If you have a Hunter/Super then there is a spacer than can be taken out that lowers it down tighter to the receiver cover.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 pm 

First trip with the VEPR, was more testing for function rather than to provide a true accuracy test. Maybe next trip, will have it zeroed, to do so.

Data:
20.5" 308 VEPR
150 grain, 308 win ammo
@100yards,
using a 3-9x scope,
attached via Midwest Industries, 30mm ring mount (low profile)
(laser bore-sighted beforehand)

In the excitement of making the first range trip, I forgot my spotting scope, so any zeroing efforts were rough estimates to where it looked like it was hitting. First it was low-left, I over adjusted, then it was hitting high-right, so towards the end I got close to an acceptable ~ 3 MOA in the Red. (ignore the 22lr holes, a friend thought it'd be funny to shoot my target from his lane).

Overall, I am pleased with at least being on paper 1st time w/ scope. The true MOA (for me) is yet to be defined as I will need the spotting scope to more accurately zero the scope. Also, due to the ~<1mm or so clearance between the rear irons and the front of the scope, there was a small impression (on the bottom front of scope) that indicates it could have been knocked out of zero, so that is one variable that could have affected grouping; as well as my lack of experience shooting this particular rifle...practice makes perfect!

I will try to get a more definitive estimate on an MOA @ 100 yards once I get the scope zeroed. I'm sure an experienced shooter, with the right equipment would have no problem achieving 1-2 MOA consistently with a 308 VEPR @100yds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:29 am 
Business Member

Remind your friend that you are shooting a big boy rifle with a big boy round. Make sure he wears his boy boy pants next time you take him with you ;)

evl....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:39 pm 

evl:
Quote:
Remind your friend that you are shooting a big boy rifle with a big boy round. Make sure he wears his boy boy pants next time you take him with you

haha, indeed.

I'm not even sure he can afford big boy pants..

I'll start a new thread once I get a new scope, and have it zeroed, if anyone was wondering of any accuracy difference between a Hunter vs standard VEPR
I may have done some damage to (scope) first time out, (can hear loose grit/shit rolling around inside the scope); so we'll see.

Have a good one.

9d6