THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 am 

^You beat me to it
It's always a worrying aspect when the administration has the oportunity to base their decisions upon what is popularly being requested from the ATF.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm 

arslin wrote:
Update: http://www.thebangswitch.com/all-russian-firearms-imports-on-hold/

"I’ve confirmed with multiple sources that all Russian imports related to firearms are on hold. All form 6′s (import licenses) are suspended until further clarification can be obtained by ATF as to what is and isn’t affected by sanctions.

This includes parts kits, military surplus firearms, Molot VEPR’s and of course Saiga firearms.

At this time there is no estimate on how long obtaining clarification may take.

This ambiguity may ultimately mean certain items may be allowed back in, or it could mean the Obama Administration will tack on a few more things, we will have to wait and see. I was not able to get information on the status of Russian ammo imports."

According to some folks on AK Files, ammo is on the ATF form 6 as well, so it's also blocked. Runs on 7.62 seem to be starting up...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:27 pm 

That would only be Tula ammo, so I'm not sure why.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 pm 

::I'm not posting with or assuming authority on my comments::

There's the Golden Tiger and Golden Bear, Wolf is Russian, too, right? I think the original sanctions applied to companies that did business with or were tied to the sanctioned companies. A lot them are related, or subsidiaries, or whatever.

...I believe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:35 pm 

Nev wrote:
::I'm not posting with or assuming authority on my comments::

There's the Golden Tiger and Golden Bear, Wolf is Russian, too, right? I think the original sanctions applied to companies that did business with or were tied to the sanctioned companies. A lot them are related, or subsidiaries, or whatever.

...I believe

Golden Tiger is made by the Vympel State Production Association in Russia
Golden Bear is made by Barnaul Cartridge Plant in Russia
(No idea as to their affiliation with Koncern Kalashnikov and any potential ban of importation - my guess is "not banned")

TulAmmo is made by Tula Cartridge Works and is a part of the Tula arsenal conglomerate, which I believe is part of the Koncern Kalashnikov and the ban. (I could be wrong.)

Wolf is an importer that rebrands Tula Cartridge Works, Barnaul Cartridge Plant, Prvi Partisan (Serbian), Novosibirsk Cartridge Plant/LVE (Russian), and etc. I would assume if TulAmmo is banned, then Wolf cannot import the TulAmmo to rebrand it. HOWEVER, they might be able to get the equivalent from another ammo manufacturer and rebrand it in its place. (For instance, they use TulAmmo's 7.62x54R 148gr FMJ poly-coated steel case for their Polyformance line. They may instead go to Barnaul to get the poly-coated 148 gr FMJ to replace TulAmmo as a supplier but still rebrand it as Wolf Polyformance - provided there are other contractual agreements with Barnaul and Golden Bear that prohibit this or any other such thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 pm 

This is my understanding based on what I could cull from a panic thread on akfiles. Anything that comes in on a Form 6 from Russia is banned. This includes both guns and ammo. So, it doesn't matter who makes it. If my understanding is right, and it might not be and it all might be pure panic, but basically anything from Russia is now out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 pm 

chilort wrote:
This is my understanding based on what I could cull from a panic thread on akfiles. Anything that comes in on a Form 6 from Russia is banned. This includes both guns and ammo. So, it doesn't matter who makes it. If my understanding is right, and it might not be and it all might be pure panic, but basically anything from Russia is now out.

yes, everything is banned until the ATF can figure out what they are going to do. the EO was very broad, and even they have to figure it out. Not everything will be banned long term.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:16 am 

As far as ownership of MOLOT: I could only find the stock documents from 2010-2011, but their annual report for that time period specified 2 major interest owners: 50% is owned by Izhmash (itself a part of the Kalashnikov Concern), and the other 50% by Rostec, a "state corporation" (i.e., owned by the government).
Here is the doc:
http://www.webcitation.org/6E8lnV3Oa

Rostec has its' own Wiki page in English.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 am 

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/art_n_ide ... 05013.html

"U.S. customers will still be able to purchase Russian AKs from Molot — which produces the high-end Vepr line of Kalashnikov rifles. The standard 7.62x39mm ammunition used by AK designs can still be purchased from the Tula Arms Plant."

:o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:16 am 

Surely there are some on this forum that can corroborate or refute that claim.. Moreover, I'll believe it when a 1V shows up on my doorstep.. /sct

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next