THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The 6,5 Grendel Vepr RPK
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:18 pm 

goddamn its been almost a year since I talked to Bill Alexander of Alexander arms regarding 6,5 Grendel Veprs getting over here. It was a done deal, products were supposedly finished....and he got to handle them in a German Arms show.

still nothing..... :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:45 am 

Don't know anything about the project, but wouldn't 308 be a simpler choice to serve similar goals? Even downloaded 308?

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:03 am 

sorry mate but not even close

the ballistics of 6,5x39 are much different from a 7,62x51

6,5 bullet has some of the highest ballistic coefficient of any other projectiles out there. the shorter case means more room to carry and the fact that it will fit onto Russian production of already recognized cartridge will make it easier and CHEAPER to manufacture

last time i did some serious tests for Krebs 6,5 AK the results were so phenomenal that I almost came. LOL

still. Cant wait till the Russians finalize their results and let the beast out.

if you want more info on 6,5 Grendel check out www.alexanderarms.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:18 am 

I just did a refresher read. I read all about it back when it was the new and fancy. I'd rather have something either very common or very cheap and easy to reload. I don't pretend to be a long range shooter either.

But if that's what you want, go for it. I assume the RPK offering would be in a heavier barrel version for sort of a designated marksman style application?

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 am 
Big Sal

voron wrote:

last time i did some serious tests for Krebs 6,5 AK the results were so phenomenal that I almost came. LOL

still. Cant wait till the Russians finalize their results and let the beast out.

What kind of results are you talking?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:39 pm 

GunFun wrote:
I just did a refresher read. I read all about it back when it was the new and fancy. I'd rather have something either very common or very cheap and easy to reload. I don't pretend to be a long range shooter either.

But if that's what you want, go for it. I assume the RPK offering would be in a heavier barrel version for sort of a designated marksman style application?

gotcha. 6,5 Grendel does offer some badass features that other calibers lack. Its still supersonic where 7,62 has quit. The projectiles that the rifle accepts are found EVERYWHERE. Got a Swedish Mauser? same bullet. 6,5 millimiter projectiles are all over the place. 7,62x39 brass case it harder to come by but it is out there.

i dont think that the barrel on the RPK would be any thicker than it already is on a VEPR. probably the same size. I just dont know what is taking so long. I already have seen/fired Wolf made steel cased 6,5 Grendel ammo- that was supposed to be both affordable and available...and that was like...2 years ago... :(

oh- and BigSal- not sure if you caught this- its old but here are the results

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 4&t=163760

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm 
Big Sal

voron wrote:

oh- and BigSal- not sure if you caught this- its old but here are the results

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 4&t=163760

Holy SHIT! That has to be an anomaly. 2.5" @ 450+yards is insane for the platform. I dont think the SVD gets that kind of grouping....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:55 pm 

Yeah, but it's doing it with a modified gas system. I don't know the exact details, but it isn't exactly an AK. I still want one just for the ballistics of the round, but would like to see more and cheaper ammo in the caliber.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 am 

actually its 100% AK.

Polish Tantal has a slightly modified gas tube..is that not an AK? Marc modified the bleed off spot to match the timing with bullet exiting the barrel, thats all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 am 

Ahhh. I think I fell victim to some slightly misleading information then. I guess that's what I get for trusting strange forums.

I heard it had a gas system that's "a combination of a Sig 550 and a Galil." Whatever that means. They're both long-stroke piston designs, but the Sig gas system is a little different (though not what I was thinking it was anyway, after looking it up). I couldn't find much talking about the "new gas system" it was called other than what I found about the Sig thing.

Either way, I want one. But only if they start making decent ammo in bulk that can compete favorably with the price of 308.