THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: VEPR Night Sights?
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:03 pm 

Has anybody put any kind of night sights on their VEPR yet? What about other Kalashnikov rifles? What do you recommend?

Post subject: Re: VEPR Night Sights?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:15 am 

I had a night sight on one of my S12s. I just broke the vial though wile monkeying around. It was a really old trit anyway.I'll need to pick up another, or maybe put a new vial in that one.

I would suggest getting or making a front sight post drum with 8-36 NF threads so it can take AR front sight posts. They are nicer and have many more options for a lot less money. The standard AK front sight post drum is 10MM. The easy way to make one is cut the unthreaded shank off of a grade 5 3/8" bolt and punch mark it a few times for a good snug fit. Then center it up in the front sight tower and mark the center with a transfer punch, take it out and drill and tap on the transfer mark. Now your standard AK front sight adjusts as normal, but works with the plentiful choice of AR front sight posts.
Something like this: http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={8757C8A7-590D-46BE-AB43-D1146352A40F}&details_type=1&itemid={D08AEC10-5A2A-4954-BEA0-7D19528559B5}

I sometimes see this sort of thing as cheap as $20 on ebay, and they are way nicer than those giant Big Fat Too Huge XS Big dot sights with the dumb shallow V rear sight. But you can get one of those if you hate precision and being able to see your target. -- My completely unbiased opinion.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:00 am 

All 3 of my Kalashnikov rifles have the graduated leaf spring rear sight. My 16" guns have the old school style front sight, but my Hunter has the integrated front. I have a TRS-25 that cowitnesses on my MAK90, but also want tritium in the front sight. I doubt I'd use either of my .308 VEPRs for defense in my house, but kinda want tritium in the front of the 16" one, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:02 pm 

I was asking about this a while ago too, Evl said any AK night sight should technically work, but I haven't got around to ordering any to try out but I'm still considering it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:11 pm 

That is correct. However there are not very many good AK night sights out there.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 pm 

Quote:
I would suggest getting or making a front sight post drum with 8-36 NF threads so it can take AR front sight posts.

Getting where? I've searched high and low. If anyone knows where, or makes some of these, feel free to let me know, I'd purchase one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:26 pm 

Reginald Cousins wrote:
Quote:
I would suggest getting or making a front sight post drum with 8-36 NF threads so it can take AR front sight posts.

Getting where? I've searched high and low. If anyone knows where, or makes some of these, feel free to let me know, I'd purchase one.

I'm pretty sure the excess big dot at least used to have AR15 pitch threads . The site tower made it for saiga 12 by Carolina shooter supply has AR15 pitch threads. I can't remember for sure but I think the crab site tower uses Kalashnikov pitched threads.I Don't think that any of them sell them as an individual part though , that's why I made my own.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 pm 

https://star15.com/ar-front-sight-post- ... r-ak-105ws

$14.95

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 am 

Tritium ak front post + tritium rear sight for ak
http://stores.kensight.com/rifle-sights/

Not cheap but they use trijicon tritium and look to be direct replacements for standard ak sights.