THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:18 pm 

hey guys I'm going to be buying a vepr 12 in a few days and will most likely ask a bunch of dumb questions you have already answered lol. I had a vepr 308 about 10 years ago and unfortunately I sold it. I loved that gun but had to let it go. I have been looking at mag fed shotguns and this seems like the best one for reasonable money plus I miss my old vepr. i want to change our the trigger immediately and was wondering if the ALG Defense from 4range was the best option. I also want to get 5 or so 10-12 round mags and was hoping that there is a way to get the sgm mags to run. if there is anything that you guys recommend I do let me know as I am completely ignorant of this platform but at least I know it.

thanks for any help you can give

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 pm 

Everyone has opinions on triggers. I usually just refine a G2 trigger to my liking.I have used the Tapco trigger with a combloc hammer .With patience you can make the OEM FCG pretty nice too. SGM mags run great in my shotguns. There are differences with magwell tolerances, but maybe yours won't need any modification. Csspecs makes excellent steel mags for the V12s .

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:08 am 

I will give 2 of the sgm mags a shot. they are so much cheaper i have to. I'm really looking forward to getting this. if it runs as well as some say i plan to get 1 for each of my sons

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 am 

Welcome, Tim! Great choice of scattergun. 8-)

Glad you are here. Keep us posted once you have test fired your weapon. 922r may be a bit of a headache, but I suggest playing the game. ...somebody was going to mention it - might as well be me. :roll:

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:01 pm 

I would suggest you change out nothing until you see how she works. Sometimes a little polishing and sanding will give you everything you want in a an OEM trigger group. Have two. The original trigger works great in both and maybe I am lucky but they both have cycled everything right out of the box. Did need to do a little work on the mags though.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:51 pm 

I appreciate the advice on compliance I want it to be compliant so the trigger group is an easy choice. I have giesselle or cmc triggers in my ar15s and 10s so a good trigger is kind of a must for me. I intend on putting a red dot or 1x prism sight on it as well what mount setup have you guys found works best. if you use the dust cover mount how well does it zero and will it hold it. thanks again

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:42 pm 

I agree with Oleg- shoot it first....I know there are really expensive optics out there. I personally never had a problem with the very affordable Bushnell TR 25 red dot.We used to shoot 3" slugs with one. Lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:41 pm 

tim300wsm wrote:
I appreciate the advice on compliance I want it to be compliant so the trigger group is an easy choice. I have giesselle or cmc triggers in my ar15s and 10s so a good trigger is kind of a must for me. I intend on putting a red dot or 1x prism sight on it as well what mount setup have you guys found works best. if you use the dust cover mount how well does it zero and will it hold it. thanks again

Dont mount your optic directly over the ejection port, you may experience failures. If you must mount the optic on the dust cover rail, then position it as far aft as possible.

I also agree with the others about getting some trigger time with the V-12 in stock form before any modification (including mounting the optic), that way you have a baseline to rule out stock components should you have any function issues in the future.

Also I would recommend CSSPECS or factory Molot magazines if your budget allows. Buy once cry once. It seems as though youre used to quality components (gisselle/cmc and the interest in the alg trigger), I wouldnt skimp on the magazines as that could lead to lots of frustration. Sgm's seem to work for some people but Ive also heard alot of bad reports on them, going way back to when the S-12 was the only game in town. Then again I guess it depends on what your intended use is and if you plan to keep the V-12 longterm. For something like competitive shooting, the sgm's could be ok but for defensive use CSSPECS or Molot is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 am 

I was planning to buy 2 of the cheap mags and 2 of the csspec initially. I plan on putting a 100 round box of federal through it as soon as I get it and then starting to mod it. I plan to keep it long term as I have regrets about every gun I've sold. if it turns out I really like it I plan to by 1 for each of my sons. I have an ar for each of us with sequential serial numbers and we also have matching 6.5 creedmor target rifles. kinda dorky I know but I thought it would be a good way to get them interested in shooting.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:10 pm 

Not dorky at all brother, that sounds like a excellent plan. Its highly important to get the younger generations involved to continue the sport, hobby and most importantly protect our rights for all future generations.

If youre going to be shooting the federal 100rnd bulk pack (from walmart etc), Ive found that the 3 dram functions very well in in the S-12/V-12's that Ive fired it through for cheap blasting. Full power buck shot and slugs (not labeled low/reduced recoil) should function without issue for defense/hunting.

Vepr12allday on you tube has some excellent videos on youtube on modding the V-12 and has a video on tuning the SGM magazines for reliability. CSSPECS has videos on youtube also, showing how to fit his magazines to your V-12.