THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:28 pm 

Since Bulgaria is stopped imports of their Circle 10 AK mags to the U.S. for at least 2 years.
I've been trying to get some manufacturers to make some 5.56x45 AK mags, but they’re still
don’t seem to be for the idea, “Until” enough people ask for them to be made.
I still think that if someone made some steel 5.56x45 AK mags or maybe even a polymer mag with a steel top/feed lip area, that would be mated to the polymer mag body, like the Lancer 5.56 AR mags, or the CZ Scorpion Hybrid mags by Manticore Arms and Prepper Gun Shop, they would sell like crazy.
The making of a 5.56x45 AK magazine would fit the majority of the World’s 5.56x45 based AK’s:
like the Bulgarian 106, Polish Archer, Polish Beryl, and Vepr AK's, and with a slight fitting, would also fit the Siaga .223/5.56 AK's.
Promag is the only current maker of new 5.56x45 AK mags, in the U.S.
Any current surplus mags are hard to find and are priced higher than they should be.
I heard that there was a custom $5 magazine follower that was made by Robinson Arms that would convert 5.45x39 AK mags to work with .223/5.56 ammo.
I would love to acquire one of the Robin magazine followers, to see what the dimensional differences were.
Also if anyone knows if those converted mags functioned great or had any issues.
I believe that the best bet for a new manufactured steel 5.56x45 AK mag is from Csspecs.
I also believe that the best bet for a new polymer 5.56x45 AK mag is from Magpul.

If enough of us emailed Csspecs, we could have a full steel (Around $40) U.S. made 5.56 AK mag very soon.

If enough of us emailed Magpul, we could have an ($13 to $20) polymer U.S. made 5.56 AK mag soon.

It will just take enough of our voices to make it happen.

Please help bring a newly manufactured 5.45 AK mag to the U.S. market and beyond. Copy and paste the paragraph below, if needed:

“I would like for you to please bring a 5.56x45 AK magazine to the U.S. market. One of these mags would fit most of the World’s 5.56x45 based AK’s: like the Bulgarian 106, Polish Archer, Polish Beryl, and Vepr AK's, and with a slight fitting, would also fit the Siaga .223/5.56 AK's.
Thank you.”

Csspecs: http://stores.csspecs.com/customer-service/

Magpul: https://www.magpul.com/about-magpul/contact-us

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 pm 

Have you tried the steel German Weiger or Galil mags? I have a pair of Sar 3s in 223/556 that take AK74 mags without modifications. Never hurts to try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:40 pm 

I've been researching this issue with a friend because his stock vepr .223 mags appear to be "light" duty. People have been asking for magazines from the major producers for quite a while. I will write the manufacturers you suggested with the request you formulated. Who knows, maybe today is the day.

So far, we've tried the:

1) promag WASR 3 mags (perfect fit except for mag catch). Of course, you need a bullet guide. (promag has a questionable reputation but I don't know why yet)
2) clear circle 10's -- this was over a 10th of an inch wider (front to back) than the promags and would not fit the magwell (might try modding this mag front indent with a rasp per another post)
3) the steel WASR 3 mags are way, way oversize
4) A Beryl mag is on order and may be delivered before Christmas 2020 :-)

Just a few posts below yours, another forum member talked about circle 10's not fitting -- if I recall correctly, he was talking about the black versions. Based on what we've seen, it appears that there are no standards for .223 AKs. I dunno what my friend is going to do. If the Beryls don't work, I guess his choices are:

1) magwell adapter + machining for AR magazines (canis-design-group)
2) sell and buy the Arsenal 106 (after verifying that the circle 10's work ok)
3) sell and buy the vepr 7.62x39 (he really likes the thick rpk barrel and thick receiver)
4) something else?

The Vepr is a wonderful machine. It's really a shame that the .223 appears to be orphaned for mags.

Last edited by carpenter on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:10 pm 

There's probably not enough of them in US to make a run on mags. It does cost alot of money to produce 1 more mag believe it or not. I'm sure alot of guys in ban states need to keep them in sporting configuration too. There has to be something out there that can modified to work. Maybe even without a bullet guide.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm 

Ok ..... so the Beryl .223 magazine arrived today and fits the thumbhole Vepr nicely. Only a tiny bit of mag catch filing necessary. Has a little bit of play but not much. WIll get back to you in a few weeks after range test.

The designation for the magazine is "RADOM AK BERYL ARCHER M96 wz96 223 5.56 MAGAZINE".

So far, at this point, it looks like we hit a home run!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm 

The Robinson Armament conversion followers did/do work if the other magazine mods are performed correctly. They were NOT a "change the follower out" drop in and go conversion.
I had 1 30 rd German 5.45 converted to .223 mag that shipped from RA from the factory and it functions perfectly ! The additional work to the mags are opening up the feedlips to accommodate the different case taper of the .223 rounds. Would like to also find additional conversion followers,I have found the mags converted by Century and marked .223 on the floorplate have all the mods done to the body,except the follower.
Who can we have make the followers?

The good news is AOA has new Beryl mags forsale.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 am 

mikebaker1129 wrote:
The Robinson Armament conversion followers did/do work if the other magazine mods are performed correctly. They were NOT a "change the follower out" drop in and go conversion.
I had 1 30 rd German 5.45 converted to .223 mag that shipped from RA from the factory and it functions perfectly !

Who is RA? What brand is the 30-rd German? Weiger?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:43 am 

German Weigers are German Weigers. The Romy Sars and Wasrs were designed around them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:43 am 

carpenter wrote:
mikebaker1129 wrote:
I had 1 30 rd German 5.45 converted to .223 mag that shipped from RA from the factory and it functions perfectly !

Who is RA? What brand is the 30-rd German? Weiger?

RA= Robinson Armament one of the 1st importers of the Veprs. Yes Weigers are the German made magazines.
AOA has new in the wrapper Polish Beryl mags for $35 ea. I would suggest to get them while the gettin is good.